They say it’s spooky season, but around here we just call it autumn. Using fresh, local ingredients and just a few minutes over the stove top, this spirited and spiced apple cider is for the end of a long workday, a nightcap by a roaring wood stove, or when hosting a holiday party.
Spiced Apple Cider with Bourbon-Aged Maple Syrup
- 1 quart fresh apple cider from White Mountain Cider Co. or Hackleboro Orchard
- 2-4 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 2-4 tsp of Meridan Hill Maple Bourbon-Aged maple syrup
- Optional: 2-3 ounces your choice of spirit such as rum or whiskey*
- Optional: apple slices, sprinkle of maple sugar
- Gather all ingredients, leaving out the liquor for now.
- Combine apple cider, cloves, cinnamon sticks and maple syrup into a large pot (or cauldron).
- Allow a gentle simmer over medium-low heat for around ten minutes.
- Pour spiced cider into your favorite mug and add a hearty dose of rum or whiskey, if using.
- Garnish with apple slices and/or a sprinkle of maple sugar. Cheers!
*Always drink responsibly. To make this recipe non-alcoholic, omit rum and whiskey.